WSIA staff and friends cleaned up Lake Holden in Orlando on May 7, 2019 as part of the #LakeLove initiative. Many pro riders helped out including Cobe Mikacich and others from Freedom Wake Park as well as Scotty & Zahra Kell, Ellery Hunt, Jake Hill, Jordan Mears, Tommy Settle and Brandon Thomas (photography @djdroptop). Lake Life Paddle donated an arsenal of paddle boards and the group hauled in a surprising amount of trash from one of the most iconic wakeboarding lakes in Orlando.
Rain runoff enters the lake from several points, most of which filter out large items such as cans & bottles, however, one filter was missing, with loads of plastic bags and single-use plastic containers flowing into the lake. Some of the trash floats and unfortunately, most of it sinks to the bottom.
WSIA encourages you to do participate with your own waterway cleanup in the following ways:
- Use buckets instead of trash bags
- Grabbers are essential
- Recycle what you can
- Take photos, tag #LakeLove and e-mail to ten.aisw@ofni
- Send photos to your local lake association for promotion and inspiration.
- Get involved with your lake association and discuss best practices for rain runoff filtration.
- Promote the use of reusable bottles for all boat beverages